Xenforo too expensive?

Guest Naiwen

Guest Naiwen
My co-owner and I have had to shut down our Xenforo forum because it’s been costing him too much with all the add-ons and stuff. He couldn’t afford it after all. Do you personally find it too expensive for you?

$55 a year for updates isn't expensive for me at all. Plus you don't have to even buy the updates, you can still use the version you have when the updates expire so it's not expensive at all. The $160 some I think it is to get a license is only a one-time fee. You get to keep the license for free forever and don't have to pay again unless you want to. Sorry to hear your site got taken down. I will post on your new one sometime soon.
  • Like 2

Guest Naiwen

Maybe you could switch to a free board and only pay for hosting.

If you've got a backup you could do it.

Na, it's okay, I've made a new board for forum games and general chit-chat anyways, losing interest in the topic discussed anyways.

Guest Naiwen

Oh i see you have a proboard forum, i had one when my first community died back in 2009. I visited it today and all the forums were deleted, do you know why? I haven't touched it since 2010 or so.

No idea, sorry.

• 4 weeks later...
I will admit that yes it is expensive.On top of the software hosting, domain and renewal fees, many addons are charged for. I don't have any problem with that and its good to see coders get compensated but it can add up. Especially if you add on branding removal costs.

My forum dedicated to all things 90s and 2000s nostalgia be it internet culture, memes, tv shows, movies or games!

I will admit that yes it is expensive.On top of the software hosting, domain and renewal fees, many addons are charged for. I don't have any problem with that and its good to see coders get compensated but it can add up. Especially if you add on branding removal costs.

I always thought that if you wanna have a nice forums you will have to invest a lot of money in it. Having a clunky forum software makes your users experience very bad so they might end up leaving..

• Like 1

FmY9Up0.png

CGhja3N.png

Help me Fund my new PC! Register and get yours as well!

恋してるチカラに魔法をかけて

太陽がずっとしずまないように

• 3 months later...

It really is a great forum software but I have to agree, it is a bit too expensive especially when you start to get more add-ons for your forum. If you have the money for it, it is a worthwhile purchase though

The software is pretty solid though, i think your piece of mind has no prize and you can easily rely on XF :)

FmY9Up0.png

CGhja3N.png

恋してるチカラに魔法をかけて

太陽がずっとしずまないように

For my forum Christianity Haven we felt that migrating to XenForo from vBulletin was for security but also we wanted to maintain a sort of professionalism that XenForo brings to the site. For my forum Crafter Craze I opted to use the free PHPBB instead and am really happy with it for now. The look is more fun and not as sterile as XenForo sites tend to be. The cost of addons for XenForo is really outrageous IMHO.
  • Like 3

For my forum Christianity Haven we felt that migrating to XenForo from vBulletin was for security but also we wanted to maintain a sort of professionalism that XenForo brings to the site. For my forum Crafter Craze I opted to use the free PHPBB instead and am really happy with it for now. The look is more fun and not as sterile as XenForo sites tend to be. The cost of addons for XenForo is really outrageous IMHO.

Your forum looks very good! congrats on it. I don't know why i prefer dark skins on sites..

How did your migration go? did you have any issues?

FmY9Up0.png

CGhja3N.png

恋してるチカラに魔法をかけて

太陽がずっとしずまないように

Your forum looks very good! congrats on it. I don't know why i prefer dark skins on sites..

How did your migration go? did you have any issues?

I didn't handle the migration but I heard that it was relatively easy. Some of our add ons we knew ahead of time wouldn't work so those were disabled before the install so it would be cleaner.

I think checking permissions was one of my top priorities because we do have some private forums with sensitive information that we prefer to keep private.

We have the dark theme but there are other theme options available, it's just that people don't know they are there (lower left corner of browser).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

The cost of addons for XenForo is really outrageous IMHO.

Yeah.. I kinda miss the old vBulletin days where add-ons are concerned, but c'est la vie - if people can make it work as a side-income then why shouldn't they.

I just wish the pricing was a bit more "uniformed", especially where renewals and branding free is concerned. I've made a point of voting with my wallet in some instances..

banner-small.jpg

[FA]far fa-handshake faa-vertical[/FA] Now partnered with Mind Piff!

No adverts, no premium memberships, no donation drives.. The way a forum should be!

• 1 month later...
I too have a Proboards forum which doesn't cost me anything. If I were to migrate over, I think I may choose Xenforo. I've gotten quite used to the features this platform has to offer as I'm on several forums that utilize it. I am not the type who needs bells & whistles, so I would only have the bare minimum. I rather focus on discussing topics rather than stuff that I would need help with as I am NOT technically inclined :)
  • Like 1

https://holisticallysecular.proboards.com/

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Benjamin Franklin 1705-1790

I started long ago with many free forum softwares. Eventually made my way to vBulletin, and progress to XenForo when it launched. Haven't looked back since. I don't find it too expensive at all. You don't have to upgrade every year if you are not wanting to. It truly is up to you.

The Goat House / Twitch Stream

Xbox/PSN/Steam - BigPete7978 // Battle.net - BigPete7978#1523 // Switch FC - SW-3681-3045-5041

If it is a forum for trial so use Xenforo first time will be expensive especially if it is first time administration forum experience however if you are well experimented (you worked as staff in some Xenforo forums so you get acquired experience in Xenforo moderation but not first time) so if you guarantee continuously of long life of created forum.
  • Like 1

If you really want more expensive then go with invasion power. :P no joke it's far more than Xenforo as you have to pay around $120 a year for the licence and it's almost $600 for buying the software.

Time you add Hosting and Domain, THemes and other paid addons - It Adds Uppppppppppppppppppppppppp

lcuoUWl.gif

Got a sec? check out: Empirekicking |Discord Server | #baysidegamers

Why don't you shift to myBB or phpBB? You can still customise your forum by installing latest themes and add-ons.

If XF is costing you more, you may also try expelling some of your add-ons, as not all add-ons are much required. You can still run your forum without those add-ons.